- NWF State College Student Interning with Oregon's Institute of Marine Biology
- Winners Named in 29th Annual James and Christian LaRoche Memorial Poetry Contest
- Mallett Named Army ROTC Superior Cadet for 2014-15
- Collegiate High Senior Named Forensics Student of the Month
- Jazz Ensemble Members Earn Top Honors at Pensacola Jazz Competition
- Bethany Fralish takes lessons learned at NWF State College with her on path to become teacher
- Vanessa Payne meets all challenges to reach goal of bachelor’s degree
- Benji Bell named FCSAA Male Athlete of the Year
- NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
- Spotlight Example
- NWF State College Energy Savings: Chalk up a million for good behavior
NWF State College students advance to SkillsUSA National Championships
Six Northwest Florida State College students enrolled in career and technical education programs are headed to the SkillsUSA National Championships after earning gold medals at the state-level SkillsUSA competition in Lakeland.
The six students who won gold medals qualifying them to advance to nationals are: Kameron Legg of Baker, computer programming; Caitlin Slater of Crestview, dental assisting; Thomas Myers of Crestview, technical drafting; and the welding fabrication team of James Darr of Baker, Benjamin Dean of Valparaiso, and Jack Jensen of Niceville. In addition to the six gold medalists at the state competition, Mary Helen Swisher of Fort Walton Beach took silver in early childhood education.
The SkillsUSA National Championships, a showcase for the best career and technical education students in the nation, will be held June 22-26 in Louisville, Ky. More than 6,000 students - all state contest winners - will compete hands-on in 100 different trade, technical and leadership fields. Students work against the clock and each other, proving their expertise in their areas of study. Contests are run with the help of industry, trade associations and labor organizations, and test competencies are set by industry.
Last year's national competition in Kansas City saw three NWF State College students compete, and all three brought home medals.
SkillsUSA state medal winners (L-R): Kameron Legg, Thomas Myers, Mary Helen Swisher, Caitlin Slater, Benjamin Dean, Jack Jensen, and James Darr.