October 31, 2018
This course of study is designed to provide initial training for individuals wishing to enter the Florida Department of Corrections career field. It also serves as a prerequisite for the Florida State Officer Certification Exam (SOCE). Practical skills and field exercises including officer safety, intake and release of inmates, supervising special populations, defensive tactics, and first aid techniques.
The Criminal Justice Training Center at Northwest Florida State College is certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Division of Criminal Justice Standards and Training.
We cannot accept applicants who have been convicted of a felony, a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement, domestic violence related offenses, or moral character violations as defined by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC).
Under Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) rules and Florida Statutes, in order to qualify for certification as a law enforcement/corrections officer, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Be a United States citizen
- Have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- No convictions of any felony or a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement
- Never received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces
- Have good moral character
- Complete an application to Northwest Florida State College
- Pass Florida Basic Abilities Test (FBAT)
- Pass the Medical Exam required to be accepted into Academy
How to Apply
Before Program Admission
- Meet all of the requirements mentioned above.
- Take the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities (FBAT).
- Read the application guide and complete the Basic Recruit Application.
- Complete the FDLE and NWF State College Physical Assessment Form.
- Submit the completed, original application packet containing the above materials online.
Please note that a printout of your FBAT score and your DD214 (if applicable) must be attached to your application packet. Your application should be typed or in legible print using black ink. Please do not leave any blank spaces. Write “N/A” if a question does not apply to you.
After Program Admission
- Must attend the Corrections Academy orientation.
- Agree to be fingerprinted by the training center school.
- Successfully complete the background investigation.
- Work on your physical fitness to ensure readiness for the program.
See All News
Back to News Center